[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:37:28 -0500
You don't necessarily need to have bigger raw files with a higher
resolution camara... if you change brands.  It would appear that Oly
does not even attempt to do any form of lossless compression on the raw
files or, if they do, it's not very effective.  Witness the 10MB you're
reporting here for a 5MP sensor and the 13.8MB file size for the E-500
reported by dpreview.

Canon 20D raw files tend to be under 8MB and under 12MB for the 5D.

ps: While I was checking dpreview for the numbers on the E-500 I noticed
that the speed of the xD card was only 1/4 that of the CF cards.  Stick
with CF cards.

Chuck Norcutt