[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:47:40 -0500
I think the Canon raw files are compressed with something like a Jpeg
plus extra data added in. Hence with a viewer like FastStone, the
Canon raw files load really fast, but the Olympus ORF files load really
slowly in the viewer.

Hence the best compression for ORF files would be a custom
compression with a jpeg + extra data to achieve lossless compression.
It is hard for most compression algorithms to do very well on binary
data if there is no information about the data characteristics.

Wayne