[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:32:19 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Sorry, Mark. I just looked at my reply and realized it sounded
> snippy. That was not my intention. All I was trying to say will all
> my ineptness was that I have experience spots on the sensor filter
> that required more than one going over to get it off.

Don't worry, it takes much more than that to offend me :-)

>                                                       Some of it is
> on there tight. It is stuff you don't see in an ordinary picture and
> I really think that a lot of people took Oly on faith and have not
> really checked their sensors. It might be there, invisible, until you
> take that one shot with a lot of sky at a small f stop and you get it
> in Photoshop and tweak the contrast a little.

I'm certain there are some particles which will undoubtedly stick to the
sensor so tight that the dust buster can't remove it.  I think that's
more the exception than the rule.  In the 1.5 years that I've had my E-1
I've dragged it half way across the world everywhere from hot humid summer
camping to deep sub zero freezing weather.  I've probably changed lenses
thousands of times and I've never had to manually clean the sensor.  I've
tried the point a lens at the sky at f22 trick.  Yes it shows some stuff,
but to be honest I'm not convinced it's all on the sensor. I think some
of it is dust on the rear element getting into focus since changing lenses
gives different results.  Perhaps Bill can do a test for us using his
pinhole "lens".

> It just does not make sense to me that dust that floats in that has
> not attached itself firmly to the filter will fall when stirred up
> again. It will just float around some more. Wayne's statement that he
> has to clean his E-1 just confirms that.

Whatever the dust buster does it works and I'm greatful for it.
                                -mark