[OM] Re: camera choices

Subject: [OM] Re: camera choices
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:06:38 +0000
I bet Tom will say Nikon is the best, having been on this for many years I have
never heard of Tom saying any problem or deficiency with the equipment he
owned, from the OM system to the E-20 to the Nikon 4000ED scanner, Epson
printer and the Nikon DSLR. It is good that people only see the good points of
their tools so that he can use it more happily.

I started DSLR with a 10D (if not counting the E-10) since I can use my OM
lenses on it. After using for a year I still unable to manage the color.
Believe it or not the Canon S30 I once own has exactly the same color tone like
the 10D. I have no experience in Nikon DSLR but I had the Nikon CP5000 for a
few months, the color was good, their scanner is also fine in color so I
believe the color of Nikon DSLR should be also fine. Of course I like Olympus
the best, you can see the results from some of my images:

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/E1.htm

Of course color is a subjective thing, others may not see it in the same way.

For the Europe shoots I converted with PhaseOne C1, I believe it will be even
better if I had used Olympus RAW. With all the RAW converters I have used I
found Olympus RAW gives the best color. But unfortunately the details were not
that great in some of the higher ISO shots.

For AF, Olympus must be the poorest among the three, the problem is not the
speed but it miss sometimes without any reason (even the subject is at center)
for both the E-1 and E-300 I have. Ok, it mainly happen indoor but it was not
very dark and both cameras has the latest firmware.

For noise needless to say the best is Canon and Olympus is the worse, my
experience is around 1.5 stops compare an E-1 with 10D but I learnt to live
with it. Plastic skin look of Canon can always be overcome with slightly higher
ISO (200) and more sharpening but the color tone is difficult to deal with.

The power up speed is sure a problem for Olympus and it is critical to me. Ok,
for critical moment I can always turn off the power saving. I hope the next E-x
will be better.

For lenses, Olympus has some very nice one like the 11-22, 50/2 and 50-200 but
not cheap. Seeing the result from Mark the 7-14 really look great without any
chroma but it is just too heavy for me. The manual-focusing ring of DZ is also
very good. The Canon has problem in third party lenses compatibility, you
better stay with their own lenses and there is not much choice with the 1.6x
sensor body. The best wide being the 17-40/4 but you will not happy with a
28-64 F4 at that price. The 24-120L has very high chroma seeing from dpreview
test, it is no fun. The 28-135 IS is ok and cheap but I don't like the small
aperture even it has IS, all shots came out just very ordinary. The 70-200 IS
is very nice but heavy. I have no experience with Nikon lenses.

Honestly say if I do not have that many Zuikos, today I will buy into the Nikon
system. It seems balance quite well in all aspects, the 10MP D200 at that price
is really great especially it can use the manual focus lenses.

C.H.Ling