[OM] Re: Super 4/3?

Subject: [OM] Re: Super 4/3?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:06:59 -0600
> Kodak struck a development deal with IBM quite some time ago (maybe a
> year?) specifically for CMOS sensors.  I haven't heard a singe word
> about progress on that front since the announcement.  IBM has been
> building CMOS chips since before Methusala was born.  And we all know
> Kodak knows how to do color as in the E-1 sensor.  Maybe they'll both
> pop up and surprise us one day soon.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
>From someone that thas been shooting professionally since about 1971, don't
count on Kodak for anything good. Sure, they make exceptionally good film
(two of my most important films are 160NC and Plus-X), chemistry (I still
love Dektol and Kodak fixer. I've found nothing I like any better.) and
although expensive, paper.

But anyone that has any contact with the "Kodak man" can tell you that the
management has been bloated, clueless, and totally out of touch with the
consumer, pro or amateur, since the seventies. They are able to change names
and packaging of film almost overnight, but most development times are
simply arthritic. Through almost constant upper management changes, the
downward slide continues. It is an insult to the many skilled scientists
that work(ed) there.

Everyone I've known that used the Kokak SLR was a big fan. The usual comment
was along the lines of, "If I'm in the studio where I can count on using the
lowest ISO setting, there is still nothing that can beat it. If I want the
highest possible noise, just go up one stop."

Are clean, accurate colors impossible to get without noise? I don't think
so. I though the partnership with Kodak had promise, but the lack of an E1
replacement shows the potential for problems.

Bill Pearce