[OM] Re: north/south carolina

Subject: [OM] Re: north/south carolina
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:23:32 -0500
Lots of fine things to see and do in North and South Carolina.  Not sure
where you're coming from but, if from north of Washington and along the
coast, you might want to abandon I-95 and choose instead to get to the
Outer Banks via the DelMarVa peninsula
<http://www.delmarvahighways.com/> and the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge Tunnel.
  <http://www.cbbt.com/>
Stop at some of the rest stops and piers.  Lots of shipping going in and
out of Norfolk/Newport News including navy ships.  You might even see an
aircraft carrier or two.

At the northern end of the Outer Banks is Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills.
  Testing ground and birthplace of flight by Wilbur and Orville Wright.
  Be sure to see the memorial there.
<http://www.outerbanks.com/wrightbrothers/>
I've never taken the ferry.  I intended to once but missed it.  Best you
check the schedule and have reservations.  It probably doesn't run very
frequently at this time of year.  See: <http://www.ncferry.org/>
If you don't take the ferry I find that the rather circuitous route
along the coastal road to be a very scenic and pleasant drive.  Last
time I did it I saw the biggest black bear I've ever seen in my life.
For broader info on the Outer Banks see: <http://www.outerbanks.org/>
Pick out a local family restaurant (not a chain) and try some of the
local seafood.  Blue crab is a specialty anywhere near the Chesapeake.

If you drive down the coast you might also want to stop along the
riverfront in Wilmington for lunch or dinner.   Wilmington was known for
hosting lot of blockade runners during the Civil War.
<http://www.cape-fear.nc.us/Home/Wilmington.asp>

If you travel to the mounatinous area in the far west of North Carolina
be sure to go to Ashville and see the Biltmore Estate.  See:
<http://www.biltmore.com/>  Probably one of the closest things to a
castle that you'll find in the US.  Beautiful place.  Be sure to attend
a free wine tasting and pick up a bottle from their vinyards while
you're there.

Since it's off season, when you cross into South Carolina look for the
South Carolina state visitor's centers which will be not far from the
state line on the major highways.  Each morning the hotels and
restuarants from the tourist areas (such as those in Charleston) call
the visitor's bureau to tell them of any special deals they're offering.
If you want to find a room in Charleston, for example, ask at the
visitor center.  If some hotel in Charleston is not full that night you
may get a very, very good deal.  I've done it twice now and gotten
excellent rates on two very nice hotels.  The regular rate was so high
the I wouldn't have chosen either one if I'd had to pay the full freight.

Charleston is not very large and is a pleasant walking city in the area
along the battery. <http://www.charlestoncvb.com/> (click on the family
icon) The open market area is interesting.  Also be sure to catch the
boat for the tour of Fort Sumpter where the opening shots of the Civl
War were fired.

If you're interested in historic navy ships you can see the WWII
aircraft carrier the Yorktown (CV-10) at Patriots Point in Charleston.
There's also a destroyer and submarine there which can also be toured.
<http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/10.htm>
<http://www.patriotspoint.org/content.asp?catID=3641&parentID=3222>

Chuck Norcutt