[OM] Re: The next competitive arena for DSLRs? [was Full E-330 review on

Subject: [OM] Re: The next competitive arena for DSLRs? [was Full E-330 review on dpreview]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:43:35 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote:
> So where will the next feature battleground be? Well, what are
> the biggest things wrong with current DSLRs compared to their
> 35mm predecessors? In my book, the big areas are ergonomics
> and viewfinders.

I seriously doubt it.  For the past 15 years camera development
has gone backwards in both areas. The dumbing down of these two
aspects has been passed onto the consumer as "advancements".  We
can look at pro-video as an example. Sony owns this market and
nobody in their right mind would say that the ergonomics are
better now than they were 20 years ago.

Konica-Minolta put an outstanding EVF in the A2.  Nice
experiment. Not only did nobody else utilize that EVF module,
but KM themselves didn't put it in the A200 or any other camera.

The next competitive arena will not deal with intangibles
(viewfinders and ergonomics), but some other area that can be
quantified. Cameras are predominantly "consumer electronics".
It's all about features and glitz.  Two years from now our
cameras will probably have integrated iPODs and XBox gaming.

History will repeat itself.  The dRebel crowd will have finished
off buying their dSLRs and will migrate back down to the much
handier P&S form factor.  eBoy will be riddled with dSLRs for a
dime a dozen. We may very well be reaching the end of the dSLR
bubble.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com