[OM] Re: list problems

Subject: [OM] Re: list problems
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:57:26 -0000
Yes, indeed the list IP address is listed by SpamCop, which is bad news -
but it looks to me like the same IP address is used for more than just the
OM list, which may be worse news (more worse, even!). And SpamCop seems to
believe that the address to report netabuse from the list is
abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx which is most worse.

There is also one report to the news.admin.net-abuse.sightings newsgroup
which, as far as I can work out, looks like a mailing list has received a
virus generated email which the list manager software did not understand,
and duly returned to the supposed sender.  Supposed sender was not the
actual sender, supposed sender did not recognise the "returned" email and
duly reported it as spam.  Targeted mailing list is co-hosted with OM list,
result is that both lists and any others also co-hosted are blacklisted.

MYTOB is one such virus which sends itself to email addresses found on the
infected computer and forges the sender's email address in doing so.  For
example, in one week last year I received nearly 50 rejected mails from the
destination addresses of MYTOB-laden messages supposedly sent from addresses
in the domain hemy.org.  I have no way of knowing how many more were not
rejected!

Moral - take care who you report as a spammer, it may not be who you think
it is at first sight.  And if you do use SpamCop (and MailWasher, which
seems to be related) please look carefully at what it is doing for you.

--
Piers