[OM] Re: E-300 weird behaviour with Tamron 90/2.5 Type II - follow-up te

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 weird behaviour with Tamron 90/2.5 Type II - follow-up test
From: LostKase <lostkase2003@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:40:32 -0800 (PST)
Wayne,
   It seems this happens on film also. I went back and looked at this pick I
had done awhile ago. I had always wondered where the flare came from.
  http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/l/o/lostkase/snub.jpg
   This was done with a Tamron 90mm 2.5 49mm version.

  Bob

Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just finished a short series of tests (now that's something digital IS
useful for !) with the Tamron 90/2.5 on the E-300. Set the camera up on a
tripod about .6m from a blank wall and changed the focus of the Tamron from
0.4m to infinity. The resulting images (just resized) are here:

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/test/tamron_90_re_reflect.htm

Obviously the rear element of the Tamron (which is concave facing the
sensor) reflects a nice spot of light from the sensor back to the sensor.
As the Tamron is focussed closer (rear element further from the sensor) the
spot is less well defined.

I think I'll try this on a film camera over the next few days and see what
happens.

...Wayne

> More playing with the E-300 + Tamron 90/2.5.
>
> When the Tamron is stopped down to f22 and I take a shot of a
> blank wall I get something like this:
>
> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/images/e-300-tamron-1.jpg
>
> Notice the bright spot roughly in the middle of the frame !
>
> This behaviour starts to become noticeable at around f11.
>
> The problem doesn't occur with the 14-45mm or the Zuiko 85/2 !
>
> I have heard of flare problems (Nikon context from memory)
> with light bouncing off the sensor to the rear element of a
> lens and back again. Could the geometry of the Tamron be
> just right to show this effect ?
>
> ...Wayne

> List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.