[OM] Re: [lens] Re: A lens to supplement my 50mm/1.8 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: A lens to supplement my 50mm/1.8 Zuiko
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:15:04 -0500
Dear Jeff,

What kind of wildlife photos do you want? You might consider a longer telephoto
for
closeups, eg, the 300/2.8 Tamron, or the 8/500mm Tamron or Zuiko.mirror lenses,

A medium telephoto like the 85, 90, 100, or 135 is good for selective
landscapes.

To also do real closeups, you might get one of the great quality 90mm macros
Tokina,
Vivita, Tamron, Elicar, Spiratone, Rokunar, or Panagor, or, with $$, Zuiko.
They are all
inexpensive and sharp. Good for portraits, too. See
http://www.achtung.com/cameras/mycamerasystem.html#tokina90mm

For more telephoto get a good teleextender. The 1.4 Zuiko is excellent, but
doesn't fit
all lenses due to protruding glass. Kiron is good. Vivitar makes a good 2x
which has a
macro feature. Some others allow you to unscrew the glass to use as an auto
extension tube. The good ones have 7 elements.

As for sharpness, check out
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default_m.htm
http://www.photodo.com/

tOM

> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>    I'm looking for a lens to supplement my 50mm 1.8 Zuiko. I've
>    already got
> the Tokina RMC 80-200 but the sticky aperture is back and I don't
> feel like fixing it again (especially seeing as the going rate for
> them on ebay seems to be about £20). Ideally I'm looking for another
> Zuiko, but I'm not fussy.
>
>    Most of the stuff I do is landscapes and wildlife - birds,
>    squirrels,
> whatever I find lurking around :)
>
>    What would you guys suggest?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Phil.

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle