[OM] Re: A lens to supplement my 50mm/1.8 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Re: A lens to supplement my 50mm/1.8 Zuiko
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:58:11 +0000
Once again the venerable, although tragically flawed, 65-200/4 Zuiko is
mentioned.  I used mine occasionally, right up until I was informed on this
here very List that many of them developed cloudy lens elements, rendering them
virtually useless for taking quality photographs.  I grabbed mine, shone a
flashlight ("electric torch" for some of you) inside, and was horrified to see
the foggy bit of glass in the back end, looking for all the world like it had
been subjected to paint overspray, or maybe even hair spray.  (Are there women
who still use that stuff?   Surely, no men do.)

In any event, I stopped using mine immediately, put it way back on a shelf and
forgot about it.  But, later, I began to wonder why the photographs I had taken
with it didn't seem to suffer from the fact it had become a worthless POS.  I
shot a couple of test shots on film, posted right here that, despite its cloudy
element, it seemed to perform quite well and that I considered it all much ado
about nothing, then forgot about it again.

Today, I have taken this experimentation to another level, thanks to the ease
and immediacy of digital (besides which, it's free).  Some of you, particularly
those who may have just spent big bucks on a 50-200DZ lens, may not want to
read further here.  I am still a bit discombobulated by what I have found.  I'm
sure I'll get over it, but this is all still quite surprising.

We're having some work done on the back of our property -- much of it to my
displeasure, which has resulted in some angry words and gestures, but that's a
story for another day.  An hour or so ago, I set up a tripod on the deck and
fired off a series of shots with the E-1, 50-200DZ, and the old 65-200 Zuiko
with the cloudy element, both at 200mm and f/8, aimed at an idle Bobcat parked
down by the creek.  Everything was shot RAW and each photograph had the exact
same very minimal post processing.  I'll let you reach your own conclusions.

Full-frame establishing shot, made with the E-1 and 50-200DZ:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1099.jpg

Crop of center portion of 50-200DZ shot:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1100.jpg

Same crop of center portion of old, cloudy 65-200 Zuiko:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1101.jpg

I'm not sure what to think about this.  I do think, though, I need a nap before
I think about it any more.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from