[OM] Re: E-1 idiosyncrasies

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 idiosyncrasies
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:20:10 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
>>White Balance.  On several occasions, the camera has utterly
>>refused to set a white balance, when I pressed the button.
>

> It's an exposure problem.  When you press the Set White Balance
> Button, it acutally takes a picture. If the central part of the
> picture contains too much out-of-gamut, it will choke.

  I find this pretty annoying as well -- it seems to have issues if it's
too dark, which doesn't really make sense to me; why doesn't it just
take a longer exposure? My Coolpix will take correctly white-balanced
photos in very very dark situations (though even that has a limit);
sure, I have to point it at a white object for a long time before it
gets itself calibrated (see
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gal/nikon/night_vision), but that's fair
enough; the E-1 seems to give up a lot sooner.

  -- dan