[OM] Re: E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:49:06 -0800
I think Askey does try to match them as best he can with what he gets
and what lenses he already owns. I think he shoots mostly Canon. But
it is true that 50 mm is sometimes not a match to 50 mm. What bothers
me is that he uses default settings and draws conclusions. I know
that optimizing, trying to get the best image possible, out of a test
camera is fraught with potential subjectivity, but I would accept
that. Different makers have different goals for their line as well as
for particular cameras in their line. Default state for a low priced
DSLR is usually crisp, contrasty, and colorful straight out of the
camera, while the pro cameras have default settings that do
everything possible to preserve all the information in the image even
though it may require post processing to get everything out of it.
Occasionally, Askey makes an exception to his usual practice and then
you scratch your head and wonder why. It probably results in a lot of
abusive mail when he does that.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA