[OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]

Subject: [OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:45:33 -0500
I've never used a 300D but I would assume that it's low light autofocus
peformance is probably quite similar to the 10D.  I have used a 10D in
low light and I have also recently used both a 20D and 5D together at
the same low light function.  Both cameras outfitted with 2.8 Canon
glass.  The 20D's low light focus is clearly better than the 10D and the
5D is noticeably better than the 20D.  The 5D does have its limits,
however.  I did experience a few focusing failures (hunting) when it got
really dark but the light level was so low that I had difficulty doing
it manually.  I'm still heading to 5D land I think.

One oddity about the 5D. The 5D in question is only a month old but was
just sent off to Canon for a free cleaning since it has accumulated an
amazing amount of dust relative to the other cameras in the stable.  The
same owner has a D30, D60 and 20D.  I don't know the cleaning history of
the D30 and D60 but the 20D is a year or more old and has never been
cleaned.  I'm already wondering if the 5D has some sort of dust magnet.
  I'll keep a watch on this over the next month or two to see if it
recurs.  It doesn't particularly bother me since I would have no fear of
cleaning a sensor but the owner of this 5D is skittish about that.

Chuck Norcutt