[OM] Re: Long manual focus lenses on E series cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Long manual focus lenses on E series cameras
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:08:44 -0600
On 3/25/06, GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx <GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> Olympus's rebates for the E 500 2 lens kit and B & H's price before rebate of
> $799.00 has really got my attention. The last thing I really need is another
> camera-either film or digital. However, a price of $699 after rebate for this
> kit gives me a chance to test the E series cameras versus our 20 D. A plus is
> for another $100 I can use the 350 F2.8. Can my 50 year old eyes focus the 350
> using an E 500 body?

It depends on your eyes themselves rather than their age per se!  If
diopters tend to work for you OK, I don't think it should be a
problem.  The 300/4.5 is great with the E-1, used mainly wide open or
perhaps down to f7.  I would think f2.8 would be sheer heaven to work
with.

The unknown to me is the effective difference in viewfinder.  Since
the E-500 has a magnifier, I would just plan on getting that and using
it.

If you do this, I'm sure we would all be very excited to hear of your
experiences.

> Yes, I know I can use an Oly to EOS adapter with the
> 20D. Perhaps it is false hope, but I just gotta think Olympus did not design
> lenses like the 35-100 F2.0 and 90-250 F2.8 to be used with 5 and 8 MP
> cameras.
> Walt's  E 330 also sounds really cool. My daughter thinks the  E 330's full
> time
> LCD might make the perfect street photography camera. Another way to
> rationalize the purchase of the E 500 is to consider it a tele-extender. I've
> never
> been happy with the 2 XA/ 350 combo. The E 500 body is only a little more
> costly
> than the 1.4 XA  and I've effectively got a 700 F2.8 lens. Somebody tell me
> I'm wrong about all of this and to save my money.
>
> Gary Faulkenberry

Sounds like a plan to me!

Joel W.