[OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]

Subject: [OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:13:34 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've never used a 300D but I would assume that it's low light autofocus
> peformance is probably quite similar to the 10D.
I believe it's supposed to be just a bit better.
> I have used a 10D in
> low light and I have also recently used both a 20D and 5D together at
> the same low light function.  Both cameras outfitted with 2.8 Canon
> glass.  The 20D's low light focus is clearly better than the 10D and the
> 5D is noticeably better than the 20D.
Thanks, useful info.
> The 5D does have its limits, however.  I did experience a few focusing
> failures (hunting) when it got really dark but the light level was so low
> that I had difficulty doing it manually.
So there's a point where both systems, electronic and wetware, can't see
to focus. It's not like it's their pro FF body, so you would think they
could include something useful like an AF assist light without offending
any pro ascetics. My tiny little old S110 works fine in complete darkness.
> I'm still heading to 5D land I think.

Seductive thing, isn't it.
> One oddity about the 5D. The 5D in question is only a month old but was
> just sent off to Canon for a free cleaning since it has accumulated an
> amazing amount of dust relative to the other cameras in the stable.  The
> same owner has a D30, D60 and 20D.  I don't know the cleaning history of
> the D30 and D60 but the 20D is a year or more old and has never been
> cleaned.  I'm already wondering if the 5D has some sort of dust magnet.
>   I'll keep a watch on this over the next month or two to see if it
> recurs.  It doesn't particularly bother me since I would have no fear of
> cleaning a sensor but the owner of this 5D is skittish about that.

Keep us posted, please!

Moose