[OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]

Subject: [OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:43:24 -0500
Well, I'm sure the 20D can equal or better the complete darkness
performance of your S110.  The 20D has an autofocus assist light in the
form of the built-in flash.  If the flash is up it will fire a few pops
to assist focusing.  Supposedly out to 13 feet.  But I don't use it and
have never even tried it since the event flash setup is manual.  It
consists of 2-4 studio lights to light the room and on-camera flash
mostly as fill.  With two studio lights they're most likely operated by
radio receiver.  If 4 lights are in use, however, two are probably
dependent on their slave sensors which would be triggered by a focus
assist flash from the camera... not good.

Since the 5D has no built-in flash if you want focus assist you need a
high end Canon flash unit like the 580EX.  The 580EX has a focus assist
beam built in which supposedly reaches to 32 feet.  It's a separate
light on the front of the flash and doesn't depend on firing the flash
tube itself.   But I don't own any high end Canon flash units and would
likely be operating them in manual mode even if I did.  Since I don't
have one I don't really know exactly how it works.  The flash manual is
a little (lot) skimpy on the operation of focus assist.

Chuck Norcutt