[OM] Re: Zuiko Silver Nose Trivia

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Silver Nose Trivia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:16:06 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> Which F2 lenses had the lens group letter?

Jeff, please understand, I don't have enough lenses to know all the
answers from direct experience. What I'm saying is what came out of a
lengthy research effort in the early part of the List existence. None of
the Zuikos I have disagree with that knowledge.

According to a part of the eSIF which was one result of that effort, the
21mm/F2, 24mm/F2, 28mm/F2 and 35mm/F2 were never produces in SC
versions, and thus never had the x.ZUIKO form on their front rings (in
spite of what some early lens froup manuals said). So working by a
process of elimination the only F2 normal lens which would have had the
lens group letter is the 85/2. The 85/2 is unusual in that it went
through a major redesign, changing from 6 elements in 4 groups to 5-4.
It probably went from SC to MC at that time, but that is just
speculation on my part. All the other f2 lenses are either macros, so
wouldn't have the letter, or were released long after the WA f2 lenses
named above and so were also MC from the start.

It all makes sense, in that a huge problem with early fast WA designs by
others was flare and the advent of MC would allow the F2 WAs to have
good performance in spite of their speed.

Moose