[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:41:17 -0500

> Not to start another pissing contest about this, but I have to ask . .
> . why Dell?
>
> Why not a more reliable brand from a reputable company that also
> offers good support?  Perhaps a local builder with a good reputation?
>
> I'll summarize what I've said before.  IMO, Dell earned a good
> reputation *many* years ago and over the past few years has steadily
> reduced the quality of their equipment and support to the point where
> I wouldn't consider buying one.
>
> FWIW/ScottGee1

Couldn't disagree more strongly.  Dell's service has slipped but is still
superior to any other vendor.  Prices and reliability can't be beat.  I have
standardized on Dells in our house and have 10 (3 laptops and 7 desktops).
Virtually all run 24/7.

One of the laptops has an annoying buzz.  Called Tech support on Thursday.
Answerd on the 3rd ring.  Waited less than 30 seconds.  Walked through
troubleshooting for 15 minutes.  Agreed it had to go in for warranty repair.
Prepaid box arrived the next day and DHL will pick it up today.  I expect it
back before the end of the week.

On a refurb 17" laptop that I paid under $1000 for.

The configuration you posted is perfect with two exceptions.

Do not, under any circumstances, get Raid 0.  If one of the 250GB drives
dies, you lose all 500GB.  Get a pair of 250GB drives if you need the space,
but run them independently.

The other change I would make would be to get the 2405FPW monitor.  You
don't buy a computer often.  This monitor is the one to get.

Tom