[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:30:51 -0500
Hi Walt,

I went with something in the same family as what you're
considering.  Mine is the XPS 400, 2.8GHz dual processor, XP Media
Center, 2GB memory, 19" UltraSharp monitor and (2) 160GB drives in a
RAID 1 configuration.  Could I have done better for the
money?  Maybe, but I've been using Dell for the last ten years
without any problems and, so far, the new system has been performing
nicely for the past four months

I was easy to please though since I moved from a 598 MHz, Pentium III
machine with 512MB of memory.  It was taking 7 1/2 minutes to process
a ~13MB RAW file in Capture One, open it in Photoshop and run an
action that applies some local contrast and sharpens using Smart
Sharpen.  With the XPS that time dropped to 37 seconds.

I think you'll probably be pleased if you get some version of the
XPS.  But, you might want to consider the tradeoffs between RAID 0
for speed and RAID 1 for reliability.  (Of course though, even with
RAID 1, you'd still need to backup the files so maybe RAID 1 isn't a
big plus in a home computing environment.)

Later,
Johnny

At 10:48 AM 3/27/2006, Walt Wayman wrote:

>This is what's in the cart right now:
>
>Dell XPS 600: Pentium D processor 830 with dual core technology
>(3.0GHz, 800FSB)
>
>Operating system: Windows XP Media Center 2005
>
>Memory: 2GB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4DIMMs
>
>Keyboard: Dell USB Enhanced multimedia keyboard
>
>Monitor: 20-inch UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen digital flat panel
>
>Video card: 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
>
>Hard drive: 500GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs)
>
>Floppy drive: 13-in-1 media card reader and 3.5 in. floppy drive
>
>Mouse: Dell optical USB mouse
>
>Modem: 56K PCI Telephony modem
>
>CD or DVD drive: Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW drive + 16x DVD+/-RW double
>layer write capable
>
>Walt, who needs all the help he can get
>

>--
>"Anything more than 500 yards from