[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:35:10 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Manuel Viet wrote:

> RAID is just marketing hype unless you deal with insane amount of data, in the
> TB magnitude of order, spanning more than 8 disks. That is because as far as
> PC are concerned, RAID has no dedicated external hardware, therefore the
> motherboard is still a single point of failure in the array. If the controler
> goes berzerk (I've seen it once, and it's not pretty... M*A*S*H style data
> recovery), you lose both master and copy disk. RAID does only deal with HDD
> failures, *not* computer failures, and they happen much more often than
> expected.

There are some very good PCI RAID controllers available but they are very
expensive.  These days if I was putting together something with RAID I'd
go with an external unit which does RAID 5 such as the LaCie F800:
        http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10600

RAID is not a substitute for backups, it never has been and never should be.
It merely buys you more performance and/or file system resilience to hardware
failures.
                                                -mark