[OM] ba-fwoom (or: more on flashes)

Subject: [OM] ba-fwoom (or: more on flashes)
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:38:30 -0700
  A while back, I asked about using third party flashes on an E-1. I
picked up the Vivitar 365 I was looking at, and it seems to work just
fine. This might well be another option for photographing sporting
events from the nosebleed seats; GN is theoretically 160 at ISO100/50mm,
and testing it, it's definitely brighter than a FL-50 -- though an awful
lot more awkward to carry..

  However, after using it, a couple of things are puzzling me:

  1. There's an external sensor that comes with the flash and fits into
the hot shoe on a camera to fire it -- but there's only one pin coming
out of the middle of the sensor into the hot shoe, so how can it work?
It certainly _does_ work, much to my surprise when I was trying it out;
I assumed the pin was just to hold it in place and I'd need a PC cord,
but somehow, even though there's only half a circuit there, whatever
happens electrically when the E-1 tries to fire a flash still works.

  2. The battery pack that comes with it takes 8 C cells. If I try using
8 rechargable AA cells (which just about squeeze in physically), it can
get all picky and refuse to charge. Sometimes it works; I was just
swapping batteries around, and this time it's okay; sometimes it
doesn't, presumably because 8xrechargeables gives 9.6V rather than 12.

  If I try and fool the flash by using 2 normal C cells and 6
rechargeables, other than being ugly, is anything likely to go wrong? It
seems to work pretty reliably that way, but I can't help having a
vaguely nervous feeling about it.

  thanks,

  -- dan