[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:58:11 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You're right.  The last hurdle was 128GB based on ATA controller limits.
>   But breaking that limit and 48 bit LBA only goes back to 2001.  My
> motherboard could possibly be that old.  As far as I know my 160GB
> drives format to the limit but I've never actually put more than 128GB
> on one of them yet.
>
> Here's the story on all the various drive addressing limits.
> <http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm>
> At the time this treatise was written, even 64-bit XP was still limiting
> itself to 32 bits of the LBA.

Well, I don't know about all that, long and complicated looking for the
moment. I do know that I have a 200gb IDE and a 300gb SATA drive in the
box working fine. So even if I have to format the new drive into two
partitions of those sizes, that's just fine for backup, maybe even the
best setup. My guess is that there won't be a problem.

Moose