[OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...

Subject: [OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:28:25 -0600
Moose wrote:

> Unless you are in the business of selling photos, isn't the most
> important thing whether you like your results? Or even just the process?
> What does it matter what others think?

This is true.  However, when I look at some of the photos posted here, I
can definitely see a result that I would love to have - it's just a
matter of studying, experimenting and learning technique so I can
achieve it as well.

> Taste is a funny thing, and part of what makes the world so interesting.

This is very true.  Something that may count as fine art to others may,
to me, just look like badly-composed junk.  And vice versa.  Fortunately
for me, my wife and I have almost exactly the same taste in art, and,
unfortunately for our eventual retirement fund, we both have the exact
same lack of discipline to "just say no".

> positive comments about them. If I set my goals based on matching what
> someone else has done, and don't achieve it in my own eyes, perhaps it's
> because I might better serve myself by creating something that pleases
> my own instincts, rather than some external standard.

I guess that's more what I was trying to say - I can see the difference
between a properly-exposed and composed shot and some of what I've done.
  What I need to be able to do is make the jump from visualization to
actualization better than I currently am, and a lot of that is simply
experience.

>>Time to really buckle down, study and learn,
>>

> The way you put it, it sounds more like work than pleasure. But that's
> just one person's opinion.

Not to the point where it becomes a chore, but I've never really had any
formal training, so I need to really pay attention to things like
understanding the histograms and knowing what to do to correct things
when they look wonky.

I guess I would just like more consistent results, and be more confident
of my own abilities when I take the camera off of "autopilot".

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon