[OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...

Subject: [OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:08:04 -0500
At 06:23 PM 3/30/2006, Moose wrote:
>... It seems to me that part of the
>reason this list is so much more engaging than others is that many
>members are relatively free with their inner process around the common
>theme of photography.

Yes, even if some of us are borderline crazy. ...ah, where did I misplace
my reality pills...?

> I imagine we are all subject to similar issues
>inside. Airing them out to others who can understand and empathize is
>helpful. Hearing similar themes expressed by others, perhaps especially
>those good enough that we imagine them not to be subject to the same
>doubts and concerns, is also helpful.

After I went on a photo retreat in the UP in Michigan 3 years ago, I
became much more (self) critical and took fewer photos. I entered a
photographic slump. I started having all these rules or requirements or
conditions to be just right or it would not be a great photograph. I
became a little obsessed with perfection.

Fortunately, I have recovered, and re-embraced imperfection. I now just
let things lead me. I am *not* one of those photographers who has a style
or even a clue about an artistic vision. I just can't pre-visualize and
then go shoot. I could never paint because as soon as a blank canvas
is in front of me, I become blank too. Photography was my escape from
the blank canvas. I feel more like a blind artist groping in the dark.
Things have to reveal themselves to me, then I see them, and maybe get
a decent photo; if I'm paying attention.

At 07:45 PM 3/30/2006, Marc wrote:
>Not quite along the same lines, but still this reminds me of
>an 'episode' in an online comic I've bookmarked:
>
>http://www.boltcity.com/copper/copper_023_waterfall.htm

Thanks for that, helps put things in the proper perspective.

My approach now is to just pick some time, go take some photos, and
keep trying. If I ever do produce a world class photo that I'll be
remembered forever for, that may be the day I should leave this place.
It's hard to come down from a winner.

I don't believe I should ever suspend my critical judgement about my
own photos. My real demon is the one inside that says "it's no use to try."
I now appreciate that struggle is part of creativity. Who wants an easy
mountain to climb anyway. The "feeling" about the result is not the same.

A lot of my photos on this page:
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/free/gallery.asp?memberID=159326
appear as if I knew what I was doing, had some insight on how to stage
people, had a clue, .... but in reality, I just happened to be where I was
and these opportunities presented themselves.

WayneS