[OM] Re: FL-50 w/Stofen Omni-Bounce

Subject: [OM] Re: FL-50 w/Stofen Omni-Bounce
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 07:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
> >>It's a nicely made and useful piece of plastic, however.
> Cheaper and
> >>more rugged than the equivalent from Lumiquest.  However,
> other
> >>Lumiquest things also have their place.

I use the Lumiquest "UltraBounce" which is the "soft" equivelent
to the OmniBounce. I had to go this way because there is no
OmniBounce for a Vivitar 285.

First of all, either the UltraBounce or OmniBounce will give the
same type of results. The Ultrabounce does have a little
flappy-dohicky that blocks the light from the auto-sensor. Both
are intended to be used with the flash pointed up 45 degrees for
best results.

The Lumiquest products velcro to the flashes and if you like to
use different types of diffusers, you can change between them in
seconds. Since they fold flat they don't take up any space in
the camera bag.  Oh, one complaint I've heard about the Stofen
products is having them fall off. I don't know how they secure
to the flash, but with the Lumiquest products this isn't a
problem. (maybe in a 120MPH gale).

I love these omnidirectional diffusers and use them exclusively
when doing location shooting of people.  Even when there is no
ceiling nearby, there is enough reflected light off of the
floor, furniture or other people to just soften the lighting a
touch. Even with no nearby reflections, but diffuser evens out
the light pattern that you don't end up with hot-spots in the
photographs. (fresnel lenses on flash heads always give hot
spots). If I point it straight ahead (instead of 45 degree tilt)
I get about a 1/2 stop exposure boost.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com