[OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:41:54 -0500
On 4/3/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cool shot. I love the colors and the lines.
>
> > http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/day61.html
>
> ...insert pause....
>
> This is by no means a criticism, but I am totally puzzled. The
> use of the rule of fifths (or whatever else you want to call it)
> should provide for a strong, pleasing composition, but for some
> reason the ratio is disturbing to my eyes in this specific
> photo. I can't figure out why, since it should work just fine.
> When you play by the rules (and this one does) the results
> should be guaranteed.  It may be "correct" but the picture makes
> me nervous.
>
> ...insert another pause...
>
> Ok, I think I know what's going on. The center triangular black
> column is the primary subject. It goes up nearly to the top of
> the frame, but isn't "anchored" at the bottom. The picture is
> too weighty at the top and wants to tip over.  I tried cropping
> off about half the water, which helped this aspect, but screwed
> up the rest of the composition.
>
> If I'm all wet on this one, it's probably because I'm still a
> bit queezy from a severe case of the stomach flu. Maybe I'm just
> suffering from dizziness when looking at the photo.
>
> Carry on.
>
> AG

Hope you feel better soon, Ken.

Dunno about the composition business.  Extractions cause you to do
weird things.  Sometimes it's not just what you want in the photo,
it's what you don't want in that dictates the decisions.  The fact
that you make definite decisions still doesn't mean the photo is a
good one.  I do get what you mean about the top heaviness.

One the other hand, the granite gorge is a myterious, spooky,
wonderful place.  "Top heavy" ain't a bad way to describe it the
feeling.

Thanks for the comments!

Joel