[OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
Joel wrote:
> Extractions cause you to do weird things.

Are you talking about editing or the flu symptoms?  :O

> One the other hand, the granite gorge is a myterious, spooky,
> wonderful place.  "Top heavy" ain't a bad way to describe it
> the feeling.

When cropped to just include a sliver of water it "cured" the
top heavy aspect but then took away all the power from the
photograph. It just turned it into another canyon shot.  With
your added description of "mysterious, spooky, wonderful" the
compositon makes sense.  With that, the photo becomes almost
terrifying to me.  The angles and ratios are perfect, but so
disturbing.  I want something at the bottom to "put my feet on"
but there's nothing there but water. However, with a rock or
something solid on the bottom it would destroy the 4/5 symmetry
going on.

As I think this one through I realize what's really got me
grousing is that I have several B&W negs that are like this and
I've never been able to print because of this very issue. I need
help in "seeing" this so I can print them up before shuttering
the darkroom. These are pictures that have me stumped and I
figured that SOMEDAY the solution would present itself. I can
envision them as part of a display set, but not as stand-alone
images.

AG-admitting weakness again-Schnozz

http://mail.yahoo.com