[OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS

Subject: [OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:41:11 -0400
At 03:32 AM 4/4/2006, Moose wrote:
>David Irisarri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your ideas. I have tried scanning without using ICE and same
>> happens. I agree with D. about rough surface. It seems LS-4000 captures very
>> fine details. Which is the best brand manufacturing glass mounts?
>Wouldn't it be better to first try soliciting advice/experience from
>others on the list who have been using this scanner successfully
>without  resorting to remount all their slides? I know there are/were
>some folks doing that.All that remounting sounds painful and tedious.

For really good shots, remounting is what I do, or should say, did.
Toward the end of my film shooting I left my slides unmounted from the
lab. Then, for select shots, would mount in a Wess mount, which
does not stress the film, so stays flatter. Also, you get less cropping
of the slide, and some Wess mounts are 99%. Paper mounts are dust
prone, while having film mounted in plastic mounts (at the lab) would
sometimes get scratched. Storing all the un-mounted slides in
plastic folders sleeves also saves storage space and is easier
to find and catalog. I recently cleaned my closet and was amazed at
the volume all my old mounted slides take up. It's hard to chuck the
mediocre slides, as time and history can change their value.

They also make anti-newton glass mounts, but I have no experience
with them.

After 2 years of non-use, my LS-4000 now has a dust problem. I opened
it up and tried to clean, which improved things, but the fogging and
halation effect caused by the dust is annoying. I had the scanner covered
but standing vertically. In that position, dust will settle directly on the
mirror. I suggest storing horizontal, and completely sealed in a bag when
not in use. dust mold dust mold....oh my what a pain to photography.

Wayne