[OM] Re: Flatbed scanner Users - help I have a problem

Subject: [OM] Re: Flatbed scanner Users - help I have a problem
From: "Jonas Otter" <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:41:05 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx
swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

..
> I have come to a halt with my scanning because it is too automated. I
> have taken some pictures of my car mirrors which are silver and much
> brighter than the background, the scanner software thinks its a
> panoramic picture and crops accordingly - this also happens on some of
> my night shots.
>
> In epson scan - I can't see how to get around this in any of the three
> modes - auto home and pro.

In Epson Scan, in the pro mode, there should be a little button with an
arrow on just to the right of the Preview button. If you click on this,
you can choose between "Thumbnails" and something else which I cannot
remember right now. Select the other option (not "Thumbnails") and the
preview scan will scan the entire strip. You can then define cropping
frames with the mouse, or define a size in inches or mm in the main
window. The cropping frames can be positioned with the mouse and cloned
with one of the buttons to the left in the preview window. You can also
rotate or mirror each frame individually.

Just make sure to press the "all" button before scanning or it will only
scan the currently selected frame.

The only problem with this is that you have to be careful not to get any
of the space outside the pictures within the cropping frame or it will
throw the auto axposure off. Also it may scan the frames in a strange
order.

I find that the thumbnails option often gets the frames wrong when
scanning film strips.

Hope this helps,
Jonas