[OM] Re: Oboy #7607265614

Subject: [OM] Re: Oboy #7607265614
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:08:07 -0400
Having been a victim of a similar looking scam a month ago as a seller I had
my listing and pictures stolen. I would imagine that as in mine case that
the images and the text are simply taken from other listings. This most
likely accounts for the different quality and backgrounds of the pictures
and for the higher quality of the text. In my case the scammer took just one
of the 12 pictures I presented for the guitar I was selling. They then took
the title verbatim but heavily edited the listing text to take out all of my
TOS and some of the specifics of the guitar. Most of the actual description
remained albeit in a nice bright red and large font. The id involved was a
new one and from China just like this scam. In my case he had a very low
starting price in USD and set it up as a one day auction. His other listings
included another 8 or so guitars all stolen from other current listings or
recently closed. I was only alerted to it by another victim seller who had
his listing stolen too.

The sad end story was that despite both me and the other victim reporting
the seller eBay failed to cancel the listing before it closed or suspend the
seller. Thankfully nobody bit on any of the guitars.

If I recall correctly China has only recently been admitted into the eBay
pot so I would fear that this sort of thing is likely to be a common
situation until eBay enforce their rules better.

Dan S.