[OM] Re: successor to 4T :-( wasRe: Re: SanDisk 10% off

Subject: [OM] Re: successor to 4T :-( wasRe: Re: SanDisk 10% off
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 02:37:23 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> I wonder how much longer my scanner will function. Minolta scanner software
> is at a dead-end.

I've heard this complaint before, about several different things. I
don't understand what the problem is. If the software works, what
difference does it make if it isn't developed further? It will probably
outlast the device it operates. And in the specific case of scanners, I
don't know how old Ed Hamrick is, but he is sure actively still
developing his baby.

My Can*n FS4000 was discontinued when I bought it used. I assume the
Can*n software would work if I loaded it, why not? And even if Vuescan
never has another update, it does everything the scanner can do already,
so that would be fine.
> I'm sure the fluorescent bulb won't last as long as I hope. Flat bed
> scanners are getting better but with declining film usage they'll probably
> start to be dumbed down.

Interesting theory, for the future. For the moment, they continue to
develop improved performance. The new Epson V series is clearly a big
improvement over any flatbed that has gone before.

if you need something to worry about, enjoy. I just don't see it.

Moose