[OM] Re: 4/4 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/4 fragment of my day
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:14:13 -0400
Thanks Ag for that detailed response. I will have to ponder
some more. I'm not that familiar with Ansel's work or of any
great artist for that matter. Art is one of the more stunted
aspects of my background, but in these later years has
become more of a fascination. As an engineer, I can over
anal-ize just about anything. Any problem is not beyond
serious investigation and deduction. But, I've also had a
parallel track in wanting to understand the nature of unknowable
things, the mysterious, the unconscious and our attraction to
symbolic forms. Since artistic talent is not a natural for
me, Photography is a way to be artistic with a technical
mind - and someone who can't draw, or paint.

Years have passed since my first fascination with photography
but only now am I beginning to grasp the difference
between a great photo and a nice picture. I've been going
back through the photos I have taken in the last several
years, with more artistic eyes, and am seeing things
I'm not sure I understood at the time I took the photo.
Why did I frame something the way I did. Why do some
forms have such an affect. A lot of my personal work has
been more to see into people, so a lot of that is not proper
for public viewing. Most people want their image to be
perfect, with perfect smile, happy, and nose smaller than
it really is. So that side of my photography, that reveals,
has been kept pretty private. But then there is the other side
of my more perverted mind. Such as this shot
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1728467
which is not something to show to your kids :-)

If I go back to 1978 though, here is a shot of my then new
daughter: http://www.zuik.net/Barbara/Sarah_034.jpg
Very grainy Ektachrome. Sometimes I don't think I have
really improved that much. Back then I knew even less than
I do now. I only had a Nikromat with a 50mm lens, never
read a book, never took a class, just bought a camera
and someone said I should shoot slide film. I have very few
pictures of my early work, it was lost in a divorce. But I
may have a chance to see it again, soon.

Clearly Joel's 4/3 shot ranks up there. I've noticed Joel does
not always reveal his inner process, and perhaps that adds
even more to the mystery of 4/3. Thank you for the response
and thank you Joel for sharing that inspirational shot.

WayneS