[OM] Re: 4/4 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/4 fragment of my day
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:26:20 -0500
On 4/6/06, Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've noticed Joel does
> not always reveal his inner process, and perhaps that adds
> even more to the mystery of 4/3. Thank you for the response
> and thank you Joel for sharing that inspirational shot.
>
> WayneS

Thanks for your comments, Wayne.  I'm not trying to shield any inner
process or promote mystery, but I don't think people are really able
to talk about their own work in ways that are really helpful to people
trying to interpret their own reactions to that work.  Do the
processes involved in making a photo really give meaning to people who
are analyzing their feelings about it?

But I'll try.

What I found very exciting and indeed captivating about the rock at
the river's edge is that the rock is igneous and the layers often are
vertical and quite "squiggly."  This contrasts with almost a vertical
mile of horizontal layers of various types of sedimentary and
metamorphic rock formed through successive aeons of being covered by
seas and then not and then again, and so forth.  Underneath and
supporting all that sedimentary rock is this igneous rock into which
the river has finally cut its current gorge.  I had a very strong
feeling for this rock and felt it towering over the river.  I've never
seen a river in a canyon so dynamically linked to the rock it has cut
through.  Maybe I just never noticed something like that before.  I
know I wanted to express at least something related to that linking.

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/day61a.html

On this page, the lower photograph (more wide-angle, and showing more
of the rock face) is the earlier of the two I shot.  I was pretty
satisfied with it and it gives me a great feeling to look at it and
rekindle the memory of the place.  The upper photo is definitely more
a result of trying to do something further to get at the essence of
rock and river.  I think I wrote earlier that I was interested in the
reflections of the rock in the water.  That gave me the more explicit
linking of river and rock that I wanted to capture.

Incidentally, you might enjoy the writings of Susanne Langer.  She's a
philosopher who concerns herself a great deal in the logic of feeling
and aesthetics in general.  I would recommend her book "Philosophy in
a New Key" if you don't already know it.  A random link:

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/slanger.htm

Joel