[OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:41:25 +0200
>You learn fast.  But the spot metering is actually pretty great.  The
>spot on an E-1 seems a little more precise than on the OM-4 (heresy!).
> Finding and measuring a middle value that works seems a little easier
>to me.

But the OM-4 allows you to make a spot measurement (or several) without leaving
the center-weighted mode. On the E-1, you have to switch, I find this annoying.

Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to set the camera so that the AE
lock button uses the spot metering mode, while the camera remains in
center-weighted metering mode. I think the E-500 allows it (from what I read),
the E-1 does not.

>Can the ergonomics be praised too highly?  That has so much to
>do with the pleasure in holding the camera and shooting.

Personally I think the E-1 ergonomics are good but not great. For instance, I
cannot manipulate the front _and_ rear wheels without moving my hand around the
right side of the body: if I turn the front wheel to adjust the aperture, say,
then wnat to make an exposure adjustment using the rear wheel (I have
programmed it for this function), my hand is not big enough/my thumb long
enough to reach the wheel, I have to move my hand.

I never seem to be able to find the DOF button without a lot of fiddling around
the camera.

And various minor gripes, which prevent me from being in love with the camera...

Bernard