[OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: very slightly OT: Digital
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to set the camera
> so that the AE lock button uses the spot metering mode, while
> the camera remains in center-weighted metering mode. I think
> the E-500 allows it (from what I read), the E-1 does not.

This is one thing that has suprised me as well as disappointed
me about the E-1. For over a dozen years Olympus was putting a
Spot-Meter button on almost all of their cameras. This always
locked in a meter reading (usually based on the AF sensor)
regardless of metering mode. My IS-3 has it and I used it
consistantly. The Minolta A1 allows me to program the AEL button
for the same function. It's a pleasure to use.  Then along comes
the E-1 and no such function.  The only thing I can think of is
the engineer who happened to be the spot-metering advocate
retired.

> Can the ergonomics be praised too highly?  That has so much
> to do with the pleasure in holding the camera and shooting.

The ergonomics are very good. Not perfect, but very good.
Unfortunately the buying public doesn't care a thing about
ergonomics.  It's all about specifications and what others are
buying.  It's a shame, really. Minolta developed what is
probably as close to a perfect digital camera with the 7D. The
ergonomics are outstanding. And their way of implementing
setting memories is faultless.

> I never seem to be able to find the DOF button without a lot
> of fiddling around the camera.

LOL. Yes, I agree that it's very awkward. I'm constantly feeling
on the bottom-right of the lens for that little button. Maybe
that's why I like my old lenses.  The WB button is also in a
disaster of a location. (That doesn't bother me too much,
though, because I rarely use it).

> And various minor gripes, which prevent me from being in love
> with the camera...

Oh, like my major gripe of not being able to swap the
functionality of the Main and Sub dials?  Oh wait, that's
another Minolta nicety.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com