[OM] Re: 4/7 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/7 fragment of my day
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:06:05 -0500
Thank you, Jeff.  I have just printed it at 10.5x14 to my
satisfaction.  I can't really print larger than that until I get my
new Epson1280 outfitted and profiled with a new ink set that's coming
soon in the mail, but even with that slightly wider carriage, the
largest I can go is about 12" (to maintain a reasonable margin on a
13" paper for matting).

Fortunately, critical focus was on the flora.

After saying the other day that I don't crop photos much, this one is
an exception.  I thought there was more impact to have the lowest
ridge run diagonal into the lower left corner, something I just didn't
see when I was shooting with the camera and lens poised on my very
light Velbon tripod on a crumbly slope (fear and duress as limiting
factors), so I had to crop some from the left side and bottom of the
original.  I think I only had about 160 ppi for a letter size, which I
then beefed up to 240 to print a version at that size, and then I
up-rezzed again to 240 to print at 10.5 x 14.  Sharpening ever so
carefully, I think that's the practical limit, though I wonder whether
the Fred Miranda up-rez plug-in might offer a bit more headroom.

I think you're right.  This photo needs to be biggish.

Joel W.