[OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:50:53 -0600
At 08:20 AM 09/04/2006, WayneS wrote:

[snip]

>I forget if the E-1 has a way to hold the mirror up and shutter open
>without holding the shutter button in B? The
>5D has a custom function to clean the sensor, by locking the mirror
>up and shutter open for cleaning.

In the E-1, it's called "cleaning mode."  How do I know
this?  Because, as I'm a dope, one of the first things I did with my
brand-spankin'-new shiny-pretty E-1 right out of the box was to page
through the menu functions until I found "cleaning mode" and then I
activated it.  Fortunately, I've learned not to panic (too much) when
in these situations and quickly consulted the manual to see (a)
exactly what the Hell I did, (b) whether or not I'd just boned myself
and (c) how to turn "cleaning mode" off assuming that the answer to
(b) was "no, you haven't boned yourself (at least not yet)."

Consult your manual for a full description of how to activate this
mode.  Just selecting the appropriate menu item isn't the full story,
IIRC (and that's what saved me from possibly damaging the camera a
mere five minutes after I'd charged the battery and turned it on for
the first time).

Garth