[OM] Re: Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R

Subject: [OM] Re: Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:41:17 -0700
The real problem for me is the short rangefinder base which limits
the length of lenses you can accurately focus. I had an M3 Leica and
had no focus problems even with the 135 lens. The Mamiya 7 has a
short rangefinder base that can just handle the 80mm normal lens. The
longer lens is a crapshoot and they don't even bother to couple the
200. It is weird for an former rangefinder user to see an
interchangeable lens camera with a rangefinder base like one of those
old fixed wide normal lens rangefinder cameras. Essentially the Bessa
R is suitable just for normal and wide angle lenses. I seriously
doubt that a 90mm lens will focus accurately enough to use it wide
open for a portrait. Certainly your SLR will do better at that length.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA