[OM] Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R

Subject: [OM] Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:39:45 -0500
  Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>But I can't get this baby out of my head, she keeps turning my eye.  I'm
>feeling irrational.
>
>Guys...help me!  Tell me she'll be no good for me!  Tell me I don't
>need her...

Do you seriously want someone to dissuade you?

Wellllll......

The top and bottom plate of an R are plastic and feel a little
chintzy. The size of the body is surprisingly not particularly
smaller than an OM. The viewfinder is really only "optimum" for a
35mm lens: Longer and you are using framelines that are only a small
part of the viewing area; wider and you require separate viewfinders.
Compared to an OM it is definitely not the camera for tight
close-ups: Minimum rangefinder focus coupling is about 3 feet. With
lighter lenses, the strap lugs are not well positioned, and the
camera hangs with its hot shoe digging into you.

Having said all that.....

Having no mirror in the way, wide-angles for RFs can be astoundingly
small.The 35/1.7 Ultron is one of the greatest lenses I've owned--a
close second to my 85/2 Zuiko. The viewfinder really can't be beat
for crispness.  The lack of viewfinder blackout is great for people
pictures. If you start feeling whimsical, you can mix and match
lenses with russian rangefinder cameras (a working Zorki 4 with a
very credible 50/2 lens once arrived at my door wrapped in twine and
cyrillic customs stickers for $35, delivered.)

I'm entertained how many OM'ers you've flushed out as closet Bessa owners.....

Enjoy...
   --Ross

Ross's photo gallery:
http://flickr.com/photos/vox