[OM] Re: [lens] Re: Monopod Head

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: Monopod Head
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:35:04 -0700
Some of the Manfrotto heads have architectural QR plates that could solve
the rotation problem. The relatively small rectangular plate (3157?) comes
in an archictectural version that has a sliding L shaped plate. The lip on
the plate is very good at preventing rotation. They are much nicer than the
normal plate.

For long telephotos the rubber pad has too much flex. I never tried removing
the pad and have always wondered if that could have been an adequate
solution. I converted to arca-swiss style quick releases and haven't
regreted it for a moment.

I don't think I've ever carried a monopod with the camera left on it. I
often carry a tripod with the camera mounted. The long teles are what
benefit the most from more than handheld support. A quick release is very
handy. The monopod head doesn't need to be as rigid as a tripod head. The
monopod just isn't as stable. There will be more motion because of the
monopod swaying or rotating than because of the head flexing. YMMV

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I also have the Manfrotto tripod head, which I like. The only thing that I
dislike is that it is nearly impossible to tighten the thumb wheel
sufficiently to hold the camera firmly in portrait mode.

I'll be buying a good ball head soon (in time for my next trip to the US!).
As one those - the underprivileged, deprived and small minority - who would
be using the same camera on both monopod and tripod, a QR head on both is
convenient...  Nobody wants to keep putting on/taking of QR plates.  That's
how I've rationalized things.

Martin