[OM] Re: Help with FL-50

Subject: [OM] Re: Help with FL-50
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:11:21 -0700
The FL-50 has a pull out wide angle fresnel lens. It does a surprisingly
good job  of covering 7mm but I think the flash rates it at 9mm. A caution
though - a bright streak of light escapes from the edges of the fresnel
lens. If you bounce off the ceiling you might get a hot spot from the
leakage. It's normally only a problem if there is a reflective surface
(stainless steel kitchen appliance) that it hits.

The zoom on the flash is very nice. If put in manual mode you can direct the
light by swivel, tilt, and zoom the angle of covereage.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The flash will cover it on the long end but not on the short end.  The
spec says the angle of coverage is 28x34 degrees at the tele end.  If
you're using a longer lens the field of view will be narrower and the
flash will simply be lighting a larger area than it technically needs
to.  At the short end the angle of coverage is 58x70 degrees which is
the nominal coverage angle for a 28mm lens in 35mm format and a 14mm
lens in 4/3's format.  If you're shooting with the 14-54 you should be
covered (although I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a little
vignetting at the wide end).  If you're using the 7-14mm lens, however,
you're in flash coverage angle trouble below 14mm... unless you bounce
the flash to allow the beam to spread out some more.