[OM] Re: 4/10 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/10 fragment of my day
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:53:30 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I agree it's amazingly good. A couple of times, I posted some full pixel
>> comparisons of tests that convinced me it is better at up sampling than
>> anything else I have. As they contain some comparison sof different SI
>> Pro settings, and it does make a difference, here's the link again
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/resize.htm>.
>>
> I remember when you posted that.  It didn't hit me as the cat's PJs at
> the time.  It's trying to convey something distinctive but subtle
> through a relatively crude display medium (the web), which is no fault
> of yours, of course.  Where it really impressed was in the large print
> I made.  I did two successive upsamples (through convenient paper
> sizes -- 8X12 and then 12x18, I think) and the printed result is
> photographic in a sense that the one with regular bicubic upsampling
> isn't.  Halleluia!
>
> One thing that confuses me:  you said the software was specific to
> your camera.  Mine isn't.  It's just a PS plug-in and I can use it
> with anything I can open in PS.

Sorry, name confusion, sort of like the Bogen/Manfrotto thread going on
now. The link I posted is correctly labeled, but I didn't get it
straight in my post. The sample labeled Stair Interpolation is using SI
Pro, which is not camera specific. The next 3 samples are using Resize
Pro, which comes in camera specific versions. It also requires all in
camera or RAW conversion sharpening be turned off for the image to be
resized.
> My sharpening routine is cruder than yours.  I just try .5 pixels
> radius at 60-100 amount and then do another pass at .3 pixels.  No
> sharpening in the camera.  One more process before printing, if
> applicable.  I've tried other, more complex processes, but I've been
> satisfied with this simple process.
Well, I don't know if mine is less crude. It is certainly easier. I just
click on my action WebDown, pick a size in the WP Pro control that pops
up and click OK. The action flattens the image, converts to 8 bit, runs
WP Pro and opens a Save As dialog for a JPEG. So downsizing for the web
is pretty no brain for most images.

Moose
> I don't usually web out an image
> that I haven't already printed, so I might be more oriented to see a
> crunchy version on screen.  But on the whole, I think you are just a
> lot more advanced than I am, certainly in the way you do web stuff.
I'm not so sure, but thanks anyway. :-)

Moose