[OM] Re: QR Plates - wrong translation

Subject: [OM] Re: QR Plates - wrong translation
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:48:06 -0700
A monopod only has force applied to it along its length. There is no
significant bending force applied. A wimpy monopod should be quite adequate
to support just about any SLR (even a p*ntax 6x7).

It seems the important decision is are you going to walk with it extended or
collapsed. If you collapse it, fewer sections might be preferred for speed.
If you walk with it mostly extended the speed of extending it wouldn't
matter. The lighter weight of fewer locking joints would be a plus.

Bogen has a 3 section monoipod where one of the joint locks is a twist and
the other is a trigger release. It is very fast, especially for adjusting
the length slightly after it is extended.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

More sections allow the pod to collapse into a shorter folded up length.
   However, additional sections also add cost from additional parts and
also reduce ridigity due to flexure at the joints.  Cost and "heavy
duty" don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Chuck Norcutt