[OM] Re: E-1 seen in use by pro

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 seen in use by pro
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:22:16 -0700 (PDT)
> It's a white room Ken, beautifully decorated and the photog
> was only around 5m from his subject.  He did tilt the bounce
> head down a little, but I suppose he was using the incidental
> light from the sides of the StoFen.

45 degree uptilt is typical usage.  Pointing it straight up is
fine if you have a wall pretty close behind you or you want the
"outdoor look" with the subject close by.  Once in a while I'll
put it straight up, but rarely.

Even photographing my children's birthday parties is
revolutionized with the Ultrabounce. My dining room is
completely evenly lit and there is little to no evidence of
flash usage in the final print.  None.  It is amazing. My dining
room and kitchen is about 16 feet by 28 feet and the one flash
evenly lights the entire thing.

I'm tall and in a typical residental room the ceiling is only
about eight feet high.  If I have the flash on the bracket and
I'm shooting without crouching you can end up with a hot spot on
the ceiling that will cast wierd shadows--not unlike a regular
ceiling light.  Those who are vertically challenged shouldn't
have this problem.

I've done indoor shots during the mid-day where the interior
flash lighting matched the exterior lighting. Again, absolutely
no easily visible evidence of flash usage--just beautiful, even
lighting without nasty shadows.  It just makes life soooo much
easier.

The look is TOTALLY different than a flash mounted reflector or
mini-softbox.  Those soften shadows (which is a good thing when
shooting outdoor receptions at night), whereas the domes utilize
all nearby surfaces for the shadow reduction.  A mini-softbox
will still have the same distance-exposure fall-off
characteristics of a direct flash (except for the 1-stop loss),
but a dome will effectively flatten that distance-exposure
fall-off.  It all depends, of course, on your environment.
Outdoors at night it still becomes a point-source light.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com