[OM] Re: Intruducing my self

Subject: [OM] Re: Intruducing my self
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:50:03 -0500
>  The true believers say Leica M..........too much investment and the
> lens don't fit Canon.
Jan,

Don't care about the latter [don't feel bad, I do most of my pro work with a
Hasselblad and a little with a Nikon F, and a lot of play with an Xpan, so
I'm not so pure, either], but I agree on the former. I know there are
several on this list that own and shoot rangfinder cameras, some of which
are affluent beyond our wildest imagination, thus shooting Leica. I'm not
one of them.

I've used both OM's and the Xpan for street shooting. I've taken the OM4T
abroad more than once, with among others, the 21/2 and the 28-48 zoom, and
have been very happy with the results. Last June, my OM2SP and I went to
Tuscany, with the 21, 28-48 and the silver-nosed 100/2.8. As it was freshly
overhauled, it worked quite well, and in two weeks, didn't even exhaust one
set of batteries. Alas, I wasn't so enamoured of the programmed automation,
as you can find yourself at slow shutter speeds at the most inopportune
times.

Each of us will make our own recommendations on travel OM's. I prefer the
OM4, but could do fine with an OM2 if I had one. Not sure I would want to
take my OM1, though, without an overhaul that included battery
modifications. I think the AE can be really handy at times.

I did travel with my IS3 once, and although I would like it to go to 28mm,
it produced stunning results.

Oh, did I hear you say that you had a stash of Tri-X? I ALWAYS travel with
my XA loaded with.........Tri-X! It drops in a pants pocket, and is always
on my person. Loads of fun!

Good luck. We'll have you selling that Canon stuff in no time.

Bill Pearce