[OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament

Subject: [OM] Re: YADT, 5D & twinge in the fundament
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:03:52 -0400
At 01:15 PM 4/14/2006, you wrote:
>I'm trying to understand what you are refering to about the E-1
>sensor size advantage.  I've been thinking that the smaller
>sensor would be at a marked disadvantage because of the greater
>magnifications required for equal size prints.  Also, there is
>the nasty issue of DoF with the smaller formats where you are
>more likely to see clumps and wads on your filters and lenses.

The lens opening to sensor distance for the E-1 is close to
the distance in the 5D, while the 5D needs a full frame mirror,
hence there is not as much room to get the dust as far from the
sensor. The E-1 has more mirror box space and can afford
to put a membrane further from the sensor. That was the
advantage I was referring to. As usual though, everything
is a tradeoff.

>Just maybe the geniuses in Olympus Engineering stumbled upon
>something and discovered an optimal sensor-size for dust
>management.  You never know...

I'm an engineer, I'm sure it was not genius that "stumbled"
upon it. We, as a lot, rely on dumb luck more often than not.
Genius can only be attributed to someone if they actually
realized they had something, after the fact.

WayneS