[OM] Re: New Olympus Odyssey Pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: New Olympus Odyssey Pictures
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:03:42 -0700
Thank you Chris, I was beginning to wonder if anyone saw my post.

Actually, two of the pictures were taken by Mike's wife, and his wife is
interested in things such as Zuiko 35 shift lenses, ... he is clearly doing
something right!!!  I'm going to pay a lot of attention to anything he says.

I updated the web site to get his wife's' name listed also.

His Boats picture was one that  I liked a lot. Even beyond the snow, to me
it shouts east coast (I live on the west coast). There are lines of
convergence in his image that make his quiet image seem very busy. The boats
form a line pointing towards the left edge of the hoizon. The white snow to
the left of the boats forms a line at about a right angle pointing out to
the water on the horizon at the right. His image definitely has my eye
jumping around and pausing. Even the snow in bright sunlight with fluffy
white clouds forces me to think of things changing. It is hardly a typical
seacape! I don't think I would want to crop anything. The only thing I might
  consider doing different, which is somewhat in agreement with what you are
saying, is to include a little more sky. I don't know what a 21mm would have
done but it might have given a little more sky pushing the horizon down. For
me his image works very well as it is.

I don't know which pictures he took and which his wife took. I would guess
that Divemaster & Duncan's Point were taken by one of them while Seddon
Tavern & Boats were taken by the other. The only reason I say that is that
two are classic landscape views while the other two are people oriented.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Excellent, Jeff; well done for putting together such a decent site.

With Andrew's site we can put together a picture of zuikoholics'
habitats around the world :-)  I am looking forward to my turn,
although I shall have to think carefully about my subjects.

I really like the "Boats" scene, but for me it is a prime example of
2 parts of a photo pulling against each other.  The sky and boats
look good, the sea and boats and reeds likewise; but the whole
composition doesn't work.  If the horizon were slightly higher or
slightly lower it would be great.  I know that rules like the "rule
of thirds" are made to be bent, or even broken, but a slight cropping
either way would prove the rule for this photo.

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.