[OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement

Subject: [OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
> We always used a John Deere corn chopper. Is there another
> make that actually worked? :-)

This being Iowa, it's suprising to see anything that isn't green
and yellow.  There are a few recalcitrant farmers out there that
buck the system.  My in-laws are in that category.  Not sure how
good the Fox Implement stuff was, but this thing is older than
the dirt it is parked on.

> Nice photo essay though, an inspiration for some of us I'm
> sure.

Thanks. The goal/intent of showing the photo essay is to let you
"get inside my head" and see how it is that I approach subjects
like this.  Even though the subject this time is an old farm
implement, it could be a building, a sculpture, or even a
landscape. The comments below each photograph are snippets of
what I was thinking and how my vision evolved as a moved around
the subject.

What may be suprising to some of you (and maybe even to myself)
is the use of "Program Mode" on the E-1.  In all of the shots,
one was underexposed and a couple others went over. But not
enough to worry about. I'll have to check the exifs, but I think
I used exposure compensation on one shot of the pulleys. The
metering system in the E-1 is very good and I find that the ESP
metering mode is generally excellent. In the case of the pulley
shots, you will see that the ESP metering "saw" the bright sky
behind the pulleys and was not fooled into underexposing the
picture. I think it went too far, as it sometimes does.  The
Minolta A1 will do slightly better at that, but the E-1 is
essentially doing a form of multi-spot metering and applying a
"fuzzy logic" to determine subject and lighting type.

There was a good reason why I selected Program Mode on the
camera.  Nearly all of the time I use Aperture Priority, but
this particular day I was suffering from a mild migraine and
needed to simplify my life as much as possible. This was also
one of those days when I couldn't read the digital displays at
the bottom of the viewfinder. A combination of the migraine and
dyslexia as well as just plain outdoor brightness made seeing
the numbers difficult.  With the ISO boost and Program Mode, I
essentially turned the camera into a Point-and-Shoot.  Utilizing
"Program Shift" gave me some control over the aperture without
going nuts with it.

You can get all crazy with exposure determination, but sometimes
it's nice to be able to trust the camera to get you in the
neighborhood. As these were RAW files, you can fix a lot during
post if needed.

In retrospect, there were a few pictures that could have used a
much deeper DoF and the care that a tripod would have enforced.
But limited time, energy and mental focus meant that I had to
travel light.

Yes, Bill, I've got B&W ideas on a couple of shots! Maybe not
quite as radical as the "Morton Mills" shots, but something with
a broad tonal range with deep emotional impact.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com