[OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement

Subject: [OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:18:36 -0400

>http://www.image66media.com
>
>Go to the Gallery, select Farm Implement - Photo Documentation.

Number 21 has a lot of lines and curves to work with. There is
even a grease fitting to quench this things thirst. I could see
working this shot for some more angles. Some B&W might
also be interesting.

35 is more than converging lines, but the feeling of being inside
this thing adds some intimacy.

30 is down right disgusti'n.

I see you decided not to farm the photographs, per comment on 10.

Oh, and 13, better than 14.

Overall, though, I like 18 the best. And I'm not sure why, I just like
looking at it. Something about the lower belt suspended in air.
It is one of the few where the DOF seems to add a dimension
and movement. Often, I have a hard time understanding
the artistic merit of shallow DOF, other than to isolate and
simplify. Here, it seems to actually enhance. It is also interesting
you put the plane of focus toward the beginning, rather than the
middle, but also catching the bottom of the pulley. Even
the grass is not a distraction. There are a number of other
photos with interesting possibilities but this one also feels the
least contrived or forced, like it is coming less from the rational
thinking brain. Like things just came together, more so than trying
to make it artistic could have. I'm I making any sense? That is,
I can sit here and rationalize all the things I like about it, but on
first glance, there is a part of my mind that just knows this works
without having to force it or figure it out in the moment. Instead
everything just flows together naturally. Intuitive knowing. It is
at this point I feel the creative aspect is somewhat impersonal,
maybe because when it happens, it does so without our making
it so. However, all the other shots leading up to this were necessary
work, engaging the problem, holding the problem in our mind, and
then out pops something creative, and if we are lucky, we catch it.
Then, we make it personal, after the fact.

WayneS - chew'n on a grass stem just looking at ya'alls stuff.